Ingredients1 bunch rainbow chard 6 free range eggs 2 bananas 1/3 cup brown sugar 1/4 cup oil 1 1/2 cups wholemeal flour 1/3 cup cocoa powder 1/3 quinoa flakes 1 1/2 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp nutmeg 1 tsp cardamom 1 tsp cinnamon
It may seem very odd to make a veggie muffin sweet, but this chocolate chard muffin recipe (with banana) is truly delicious. It’s actually quite surprising how well rainbow chard and chocolate actually taste together. As this was a rather daring experiment, please feel free to contribute and post additions or recommended changes to the recipe.
- Preheat your oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- In a blender (or use a handheld blender), blend to a pulp the chard, eggs, sugar, oil and banana.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, cocoa, spices, baking powder and quinoa flakes.
- Then carefully fold the dry ingredients into the chard & banana mixture, which will be light and fluffy.
- Pour the muffin mixture into a 12 muffin baking tray and pop into the oven for 30 mins, or until a skewer comes out clean and your muffin tops are golden.
- Decorate with chocolate icing if you wish, or dust with icing sugar. Vegan chocolate avocado icing would be a fun and decadent addition.