4 ears sweet corn (cut off the cob)
1 small onion
2 teaspoons dried chilli flakes
1 litre milk
1/4 bunch basil
Murray River sea salt
15ml extra virgin olive oil
Corn or other gluten free flour for dusting
2 egg yolks
10ml lemon juice
2 teaspoons tinned chipotle chilli in adobe sauce
500ml pure olive oil
- We’ve adapted the recipe by chef Mike Patrick (from San Telmo restaurant) for delicious, crispy, polenta chips (Humitas). As the article states, Humita traditionally come from the north of Argentina, where large amounts of corn is produced.
- This more adventurous recipe will teach you how to make your own polenta from the great corn we’re getting this season. Relax, it’s just uncooked corn kernels ground into a coarse flour, then prepared as described below.
- Pre-heat deep fryer to 180c.
- Blend corn in food processor until smooth.
- Sweat diced onion with oil.
- Add corn and milk and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Whisk in polenta slowly. Cook on low heat while stirring for 30 mins.
- Mix through basil, salt, chilli and butter. Stir until mix becomes thick and doesn’t stick to the pot.
- Spread on tray and set in the fridge. Cut into sticks dust with flour and fry until golden.
- For mayonnaise, whisk yolks and lemon juice together and slowly add olive oil, whisking furiously all the while to slowly thicken. Mix through chipotle chilli and season with sea salt.
You can order organic polenta and many other yummy organic groceries from our webstore.
Hints and Tips
Recipe from www.broadsheet.com.au/melbourne/food-and-drink/article/san-telmos-crispy-humitas