1 1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 tsp salt
5-6 fresh eggs
1/2 cup milk (soy or optional)
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon mustard
1/2 teaspoon thyme
Pinch of ground nutmeg
1 cup shredded cheddar or parmesan
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large leek sliced (or 1 smaller leek & 1 brown onion)
3 cups kale, sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: You can add any salty leftover meats into the mix. Ham and bacon in particular go well with kale. Just cut into little squares/cubes and add to the eggy mixture when you add cheese.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Mix the flour, oil and salt in a round 10-inch oven baking plate. Press the mixture against bottom and sides to make the crust.
- Finely slice the leeks (and optional onion) and the kale. Heat up the two tablespoons of olive oil on medium high heat in a medium pan.
- Add the leeks first and saute until they start to soften, then add the kale and stir frequently. The kale can sometimes take a little encouragement to wilt. If after two minutes it’s not going soft, add a sprinkle of water and a lid to steam it down.
- Remove from heat.
- In a medium sized bowl add eggs, milk, mustard and spices. Use a fork or whisk to combine, slowly adding two tablespoons of flour to thicken. If you would like to add a grated cheese of your choosing or some cured/leftover meat, this is the moment to do so but reserve a little cheese to sprinkle on top for browning.
- Add the leek and kale mixture to the pastry base first and spread evenly. Then slowly pour the eggy mixture over it.
- Cook for 40-45 minutes or until your pie crust turns golden, the eggs have set, and the cheese is brown & a little crispy.
- Serve with a side salad of your choosing.
You can order organic kale and leek when in season, along with many other groceries from our webstore.