3 small/2 large oranges
2 tsp orange blossom water
1 tsp almond essence
1 cup mixed nuts
¾ cup polenta
1 ½ cups almond meal
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground sea salt
¼ cup of poppy seeds
6 egg whites
3 egg yolks
½ cup honey
Almond flakes to serve
- Poach whole oranges in a saucepan of boiling water for 40 mins or until soft.
- Peel the skin off one poached orange but keep the inside ‘pith.’ Use a food processor to blend the peeled orange & the whole orange to a pulp.
- Then add the cup of mixed nuts, orange blossom water & almond essence to blend.
- Preheat your oven to 180˚C.
- Combine polenta, almond meal, poppy seeds, baking powder & salt in a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, beat egg yolks & honey until creamed.
- With a fork, mix the egg yolk & polenta preparations, and then add this combined mixture to the nutty orange pulp. Mix well.
- Beat egg whites until they form soft peaks & then fold into the mixture.
- Bake in a lined tray at 180˚C for 15 mins, and then reduce to 150˚C for another 75 minutes.
- Remove to cool. Sprinkle flaked almonds on top and serve with yoghurt & candied orange slices.
You can order organic oranges when in season, along with many other groceries from our webstore.