500g butternut pumpkin, diced (about 2cm dice)
200g baby spinach leaves or spinach bunch (chopped)
Salt and pepper to taste
Olive oil for roasting pumpkin
1 ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
2-3 Tbsp vinaigrette
Pumpkin and Avocado Salad, with toasted pine nuts, chopped spinach, and mustard vinaigrette, tossed and served in a pumpkin bowl (optional decoration).
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Place diced pumpkin on a non-stick baking tray and drizzle with oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until tenderised and browned. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Wash and dry spinach leaves, and chop them up if you’re using bunched English spinach.
- Toast your pine nuts in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat, tossing and turning til browned and fragrant.
- Shake up your salad dressing ingredients vigorously: 3 parts olive oil to 1 part red wine vinegar, small dollop of Dijon mustard, freshly chopped garlic clove, salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss all the salad ingredients together, along with avocado cubes and vinaigrette to coat.
- Serve in a salad bowl, or a scooped out pumpkin for a little extra fun.
Hints and Tips
You can also use sweet potato and rocket and/or chicory leaves as substitutes for the pumpkin and spinach, if that’s what you’ve got on hand.