- 1 cup flour
- 60g butter, chilled & diced.
- pinch of salt
- water, chilled
- 6 pears
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- Juice of one lemon
- ¼ cup of jam
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- Preheat oven to 180’c.
- To make pastry put flour in food processor, add butter.
- Pulse until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add water by drops and pulse until mixture forms small balls. Do not overmix. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead lightly.
- Wrap and chill for at least 15 minutes.
- Line a loose-bottomed tart pan with the rolled out dough.
- Use a fork and pierce the bottom of dough all over.
- Bake the dough for 10 minutes.
- Peel, core and slice the pears.
- Place the pear slices in a saucepan with 30ml (2 tbsp) of water.
- Cover and simmer for about 2-3 minutes, until the pears are just soft.
- Add the lemon juice along with jam, cinnamon and mixed spice. Cook on a low heat for another 1-2 minutes.
- Strain any excess liquid off with a sieve and arrange pears in pantry shell, sprinkling sugars inbetween layers and on top.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown on top.
You can order organic pears when in season, along with many other groceries from our webstore.