4 multicoloured capsicums
1 small onion, finely chopped
450g beef mince
225g pork mince
1/2 cup uncooked rice, rinsed
1 large egg, beaten
A handful of finely chopped parsley
1 teaspoon sweet or hot Hungarian paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
800g of tomato sauce or passata
2 teaspoons of raw sugar
- Preheat over to 180 degrees celsius.
- Wash capsicums. Cut off tops and remove seeds. Season cavities lightly with salt and pepper.
- Put capsicum tops aside for decoration later.
- Add onion, mince meats, rice, egg, parsley, paprika, salt, pepper and garlic. Mix well.
- Stuff capsicums lightly with meat mixture because rice will expand. If you have any leftover meat filling, form it into meatballs.
- Place capsicums and any meatballs in oven tray.
- Mix together tomato sauce & sugar and pour over stuffed capsicums.
- Cook for 45 mins using a lid or aluminium foil to cover the baking dish.
- After 45 mins, remove covering and use a spoon to pour excess tomato sauce at the bottom of the dish back over the filling.
- Cook for the final 15 mins to brown the topside of the mince mixture and outside of the capsicums.
- Remove from oven and place tops back on the stuffed capsicums for decoration.
- Cooked capsicum freeze well if covered with sauce.
You can order organic capsicum when in season, along with many other groceries from our webstore.