Glutinous rice dumplings
150g glutinous rice flour
2 Tbsp sugar
3/4 cup water
Natural food colouring
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 cups water
3 Tbsp ginger juice
1/2 tsp Pandan extract (optional)
To Make Dough:
- Dissolve sugar with warm water, mix in glutinous rice flour, and knead into dough.
- The dough is ready when it no longer sticks to your hand, so be sure to adjust the water level to the flour. Add more water if the dough is too dry; add more flour if it’s too wet.
- Divide your dough into 3 portions, add colouring to dough and knead until smooth.
- Roll dough into small balls.
To Make Syrup:
- In a large pot bring water, sugar, ginger juice, and pandan extract to a boil.
- Then lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a separate pot, boil enough water to cook the dumplings.
- Drop the dumplings into boiling water. They are ready when they start floating to the surface.
- At this time, dish out dumplings and dunk in cold water briefly, then drain.
- Add sweet rice dumplings to gingery syrup and serve hot.
If you’re looking for a quick and easy substitute for the ginger syrup in this recipe, you may instead like to use The Ginger People’s lovely pre-made, ginger syrup.
Recipe and photo credit: http://zachmedler.blogspot.com.au
Hints and Tips
To Make Ginger Juice from Fresh Ginger:
Peel and grate ginger. Squeeze out ginger juice from the grated pieces into a small bowl. You may find it easier to put gratings into a cheesecloth to juice the gratings. The ginger must be super fresh in order to extra enough juice.