6-8 ripe medium sized tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
6-8 fresh basil leaves, chopped
Salt and ground pepper to taste
1 baguette/loaf of white bread
1/4 cup olive oil
- Boil tomatoes in water for a minute in order to remove the skins more easily.
- Be careful not to burn your fingers (you might want to let them cool for a little while), and with a small sharp knife carefully remove their skins.
- Preheat your oven to 220˚ Celsius.
- Cut peeled tomatoes into quarters and remove the internal seeded/juicy part of the tomatoes. Chop tomatoes finely. Mix tomatoes, basil, Tbsp oil and vinegar in a bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice the baguette on the diagonal into slices about half an inch thick. Using a brush, coat the slices with olive oil.
- On a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper, place the bread slices with the oiled sides facing down onto the baking sheet. Toast in the oven for 5 mins or until lightly toasted brown.
- When toasted, place the toasted bread oiled side up on a serving platter. Rub a little minced garlic into the oiled side of the slices.
- Use a dessertspoon to place tomato and basil mix on top of the toasted bread slices.
- Serve immediately or the bread may get a bit soggy.