1 cup peeled broad beans
100g baby spinach leaves, chopped
1 ¼ cup diced potato, boiled
2 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
40g breadcrumbs (can be rice crumbs for GF option)
1 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp turmeric
½ tsp ground coriander
Salt and pepper to taste
Lettuce to serve
- Extract beans from their pods. Blanch them in boiling water for a few mins to more easily remove the lighter green skins on the beans, and to soften them up at bit.
- Blanch the spinach leaves in boiling water for a few mins, drain, rinse in cold water and squeeze to remove excess water. Chop finely.
- Combine beans, boiled potato, spinach, parsley, spices, breadcrumbs, egg, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl and mash with a fork until the mixture binds.
- Refrigerate mixture for 30 mins to bind. In a frying pan heat some oil and fry the mixture in little patty shaped blobs until cooked over medium heat, so they cook slowly.
- Serve on a bed of lettuce with lemon wedges. A side dollop of good quality whole egg mayo is optional to add a creamy textural element to the dish.