puff pastry – 4 sheets
half a medium cauliflower, roughly chopped
1 stock cube (optional)
3⁄4 C coconut milk, or dairy
1⁄4 C water
1 leek, roughly chopped
3 Tbs cashews (14 cashews), soaked
2 garlic cloves
1.5 Tbs Meru Miso’s Yellow Chickpea Miso
1 Tbs nutritional yeast
4 potatoes, thinly sliced
handful of fresh rosemary
salt and freshly ground pepper
Seriously, this miso potato tart is too yummy. The miso – cauliflower – leek paste is out of this world. Thanks to Meru Miso for making wonderful goodies for us to enjoy, and for sharing this winner as well. Ps. If you have extra paste, it’s great spread on crunchy toast and in any meal you can think of.
*This one was made without the nutritional yeast, cashews, stock cube OR extra cheese on top and it was still amazing. So again, there’s full permission here to make this your own.
Miso potato tart
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
Gently heat a good dash of olive oil in a saucepan, and soften the leeks and garlic in it with a pinch of salt. Add the chopped cauliflower and mix that around a bit.
- Then add the milk, water and stock cube (if using) and bring to the boil. Reduce and let simmer for 20-30 minutes, until the cauliflower is tender and the water almost absorbed.
- Take off the heat and stir in the miso, nutritional yeast and cashews. Leave to cool.
- Once cool, whiz with a blender until creamy.
- Wash the potatoes and slice them as thin as you can. Pop them in a bowl with olive oil and a pinch of salt, mixing to coat the potatoes well.
- Place the puff pastry on an oven tray lined with baking paper or silicone sheets. No matter what shape you make these, gently score a border inside each sheet of pastry with a knife (score around 1 inch from the edge) and then prick the centre with a fork.
- Spread the miso cream across the centre of the pastry and add some sprigs of rosemary. Top the cream with a layer of potatoes and bake for about 25 minutes.
- Grab the tart(s) out of the oven, adding more rosemary, cracked pepper and cheese (if using). Then bake for another 5 minutes or until everything is looking golden and ready to eat.
Hints and Tips
Make sure this a vegan friendly by ensuring the puff pastry, stock cubes and any extra cheese used (optional) are all vegan friendly.