3 Tbsp True Organic butter, softened
450-650g butternut pumpkin, peeled and thinly sliced
450g parsnip, peeled and thinly sliced
450g potato, peeled and thinly sliced
450g celeriac, peeled and thinly sliced
1 leek or onion, thinly sliced
1 3/4 cups chicken or veggie stock
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tsp thyme leaves
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/3 cup grated Parmesan
1 tsp black pepper, ground
Salt to taste
An “all-in” Winter Vegetable Gratin, doused with cream and coated with parmesan cheese, is simply the best winter comfort food around, plus it’s super easy to make.
- Heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Butter the bottom of a large rectangular baking dish. Layer the pumpkin, potatoes, parsnips, celeriac and leek in the dish.
- Heat the stock, cream, black pepper, thyme and nutmeg in a small saucepan over medium heat to a boil. Season with salt to taste if needed.
- Pour the mixture over the vegetables and toss to coat.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 180 degrees Celsius and bake for another 40 minutes, or until veggies have softened and are golden brown on top. Note: if the vegetables are browning too fast in the first 25 minutes, cover the dish loosely with foil to protect them.
- In the last 10 minutes, sprinkle with cheese and return to the oven to grill the cheese until golden.
- Serve as a side dish to meat or fish if you wish.