2 large orange carrots
2 large purple carrots
2 large yellow carrots
1 large parsnip
1 tbsp cornflour
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 free range egg
1 cup grapeseed oil
1 tsp chopped tarragon
1 garlic clove, chopped
Salt and pepper
Oven baked carrot fries are a low fat, healthy alternative to traditional potato chips. Use a few different coloured carrots for a playful and wholesome snack.
- Pre-heat oven to 200ºC. Wash and peel carrots and parsnip, and then cut into fries just under 1cm thick.
- In a large bowl, dust with some cornflour, salt and pepper. Then quickly toss with good quality olive oil to coat.
- Spread evenly in a single layer on a non-stick baking tray and bake for 40 – 45 mins.
- In a tall, narrow container (like the ones you get with handheld blender sets) add the egg, oil, garlic, tarragon, salt and pepper.
- Plunge a handheld blender to the bottom of the container and ingredients without turning it on. Make sure your container is not touching your kitchen counter or any other surface.
- Holding the container from the bottom in one hand, now turn on your handheld blender, carefully dragging it from the bottom of your oil-filled container to the top.
- You’ll see instant mayo magic when you do this. If it’s a little sloppy, blend in more oil. It may seem counter-intuitive but this will thicken the consistency of your mayo.
- Serve your multicoloured oven baked carrot fries with a side of tarragon mayonnaise.
Hints and Tips
IF you don't have grapeseed oil, for the mayo, please use another low-fragrance oil, not olive oil.