- 500g brown onions (about 4 tennis ball sized)
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 400g brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 200ml red wine vinegar
- 120ml sweet chilli sauce
- This onion jam is the perfect vessel for any extra onions you have rolling around in your pantry. It will beautifully complement a sharp cheddar on a cheese board, as well as working wonders on a toasted roast vegetable focaccia or as an accompaniment to a myriad of hearty main meals.
- A big thanks to Jessica Symonds for contributing the recipe – check out her super tasty blog.
Spicy Onion Jam
- Peel onions, half and slice as thin as possible.
- In a large non-reactive pot heat oil and sauté onions.
- Add brown sugar, when sugar has dissolved add all other ingredients.
- Bring to a gentle boil then simmer at a low heat until jam has reduced and thickened, about 1 1/2 – 2 hours.
- Pour into sterilised jars with funnel to ensure jar rims are clean. seal.
Hints and Tips
- To test if the jam is ready, place 1 teaspoon of the jam on a chilled saucer and place in the freezer for 1-2 minutes or until cooled to room temperature. Lightly push the jam with your finger. If the surface wrinkles, it’s ready.
- To sterilise glass jars, wash the jar and lid in warm soapy water and rinse. Transfer to a baking tray lined with baking paper and place in oven preheated to 100°C until dry. Use straight from the oven.