Serves 2 - 3
- 500gm of instant ready-to-serve polenta
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 6 flat mushrooms
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- large handful of Italian parsley, chopped
- olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Slice polenta into 6 x 1/2 inch thick slices and lightly brush with olive oil. Heat a non-stick pan over a medium heat and fry polenta slices for approx 5 minutes on each side until golden brown. While polenta is cooking, prepare other ingredients and keep cooked polenta warm.
- Remove stalks from mushrooms and finely dice stalks. Set aside.
- Heat a generous glug of olive oil in a pan large enough to host mushrooms. Fry chopped stalks, garlic and chilli over a low-medium heat for a few minutes or until stalks are cooked. Set aside in a small bowl and mix through chopped parsley, salt and pepper.
- Fry gill side of mushrooms for 4-5 minutes until golden and soft. Flip and cook other side until mushrooms are cooked through.
- Gently spoon stuffing on gill side of mushroom to keep mixture warm.
- Layer cooked polenta on two plates and stack 3 stuffed mushrooms on top. Season with salt and pepper and an extra drizzle of olive oil if desired.
Hints and Tips
Here I've served these on a bed of fried ready-to-serve polenta as I was short on time, however it's easy to make your own! I like mixing grated zucchini or a few tablespoons of homemade pesto into the batter before cooling. These mushrooms also work well with freshly steamed green garlicky beans.
If you have a barbecue you can prepare the filling and pre-stuff the mushrooms. Wrap each mushroom in foil and cook on a barbecue for 8-10 minutes.